My intention is to inspire you to be organic, fluid & free.
My name is Sarah. Sarah Denae Patterson. I feel called to create this space on the interwebs to share in a journey with you to become our highest version of organic, fluid & free.
I am a herbalist. I am committed to the daily pursual of my highest self. I am committed to creating a space where others can learn and grow into their highest selves. I am a formulator and beauty chef. I am a yoga teacher. I am a sailor. I am curator. I am a wanderer. I live aboard a Formosa 41' sailboat. I am a protector of the earth.
The seed for Salinity was planted inside of me while I was visiting the natural onsen (hot springs & bath houses) of Japan. I realized the wonders of taking time to truly care for oneself and wanted to inspire others to create their own self-love rituals.
After a career in natural grocery & studying the affects of what we put on & into our body, I decided years ago that for myself, I wouldn't put anything on my skin that would be harmful inside of me. This led to an exploration of making my own beauty products because it was hard to find products that met my standards of healthiness and effectivity.
I've always had a bit of a chemist in me. I love mixing ingredients together and marveling at how they make a totally new result. I have always been studying the plants around me & incorporating them into my life. What we love deep inside of us never changes. Today, I've grown to realize that there are too many toxic self-care products & not enough intelligently made natural products. This is my background, which formed the standards I set for myself creating everything at Salinity.
Another important part of what I do with Salinity is use our products as an encouragement to have fun & get in some water! I believe in the healing powers of water. Our planet has an abundance of magically fun, watery natural places. Water fuels my creativity & calms my body. I hope I can equip you with nourishing Salinity products to go discover the wonderful water around you.
I hope to help you create a delightful, simple & healthy routine that will make you glow from inside your soul into the world around you.
Salinity was inspired by diving into the ocean on a warm summer day, by healing mineral waters at rural bath houses, by taking long, steamy showers after a full day and by a love of knowing about nourishing natural ingredients that work.
To bring you the most effective healthy products, we search the world for the finest botanicals and minerals from land and sea. We use certified organic ingredients whenever possible, but if I find a small farm producing quality organics that is not certified organic, I will use their harvest because it is sometimes financially limiting for small farms to obtain certification. Some of our ingredients are wildcrafted, which means that they have been hand-harvested, with permission, in a sustainable manner.
It is our hope that Salinity products will help you simplify your skincare routine and become your most healthy, radiant self.
Salinity is a sustainable, green business that defines a job well done as meeting the triple-bottom-line of business by being sustainable in terms of people, planet and profit. We believe that to be sustainable, we must exam every detail of our business: every flower, seed, mineral, person and bottle involved and ask if we can make any changes that would make us a better business for the world. We want to be part of a movement of many businesses that are making the choice to exist in harmony with people & the planet.
- We take into consideration every person and community who is in any way involved with Salinity, to making sure we are in some way improving their life.
- Our ingredient sources pay everyone a fair wage.
- We build direct relationships with every ingredient supplier.
- We give back to the communities in tangible ways.
- You can pronounce and understand all of the ingredients that go into our products.
- SALINITY is a zero-waste company.
- We only use products that are non-toxic and sustainably harvested. From flowers that go in my facial cleansers to the sea salt to the minimal packaging we mail your gorgeous treats in, we consider every material we use.
- Our suppliers are all guided by similar principles of environmental sustainability.
- We make sure everything I use is toxin-free, but some small farms can't afford expensive organic certification, so if we know a supplier is using 100% organic practices, we will work with them.
- The final aspect of being sustainable is being financial sustainable internally, as well as contributing a real financial value to the communities we interact with, from the farmers and supplier we buy from, to you, my gorgeously caring customers and supporters.
- We give back 5% of my profits annually to environmentally minded organizations.
- We let customers know every single ingredient in my formulas. There is nothing on our labels that mysteriously says 'aroma' or 'fragrance'.
- Our suppliers have a deep knowledge of their own supply chains and can trace everything they use to their sources.
- If customers have a question about any of my products, we are always happy to answer them.
- You can follow us on instagram @SalinityStudio to truly see behind the scenes.